Most New Yorkers can tell you the best year and countries for wine but most give you a blank stare when it comes to rating beer. After all, folks have their favorites over the years and they love their local brew masters. Ratebeer.com has ranked the fifty best beers in the world. The United States and Belgium have the most brews on the list. Denmark, Sweden and Canada each have a brew in the top fifty.
Here are the top ten.
1. Westvleteren XII (Westveleteren Abdij St. Sixtus in Belgium)
2. Russian River Pliny The Elder (Russian River Brewing in California)
3. Russian River Pliny the Younger (Russian River Brewing in California)
4. Founders KBS (Founders Brewing Company in Michigan)
5. Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout- Brandy Barrel Aged (Cigar City Brewing in Florida)
6. Bells Hopslam (Bellis Brewery in Michigan)
7. Rochefort Trappistes 10 (Brasserie Rochefort in Belgium)
8. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (Goose Island Beer Company in Illinois)
9. AleSmith Speedway Stout (AleSmith Brewing Company in California)
10. Bells Black Note Stout (Bells Brewery in Michigan)