Forbes.com has published a list of the 50 Americans who gave away the most money in 2012. The site reports:
"This is the 13th year the Chronicle of Philanthropy has put together its Philanthropy 50, a list of the 50 biggest charitable donors in the past year. The list tallies gifts and pledges of cash and stock to nonprofit organizations. The Chronicle does not count gifts that donors made from their family foundations, to avoid counting the same gifts twice. In addition to cash and stock donations, the 2012 list includes art donations to two museums. The top 50 donors gave away a total of $7.4 billion last year."
Here are the top ten most generous givers last year.
1. Warren Buffett: $3.1 Billion
2. Mark Zuckerberg and Priscella Chan: $499 Million
3. John and Laura Arnold: $423 Million
4. Paul Allen: $309 Million
5. Sergey Brin and Anne Wojcicki: $223 Million
6. Mort Zuckerman: $200 Million
7. Fred Fields: $192 Million
8. Carl Icahn: $150 Million.
9. Sheldon and Miriam Andelson: $143 Million
10. G. David Gundlach: $140 Million